How to Trap a Soccer Ball on Your Chest And Direct it
Like any soccer skills, practice makes perfect
But I’m going to show you How to Trap a Soccer Ball on your Chest so you can impress your fellow soccer players next time you’re on the field
We have all been there right, you’re on the soccer field and out in the open with nobody marking you and you’re screaming for that ball
Then all of a sudden it’s coming straight towards you
It’s a little bit higher than you would have liked it to be and you start to panic
What do you do?
- A… Hope the winger is running up behind you so you can leave it go past?
- B… Run back a bit to be able to receive it at your feet and risk falling over in front of the crowd?
- C… TRAP IT AND CONTROL THE BALL WITH YOUR CHEST?
IT’S A DILEMMA YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT ON THE SPOT!
Now I know what I would do
But if you don’t know how to trap the ball on your chest you only have 2 options to go for
And both those ways could make you get abuse from the crowd and your fellow teammates for a long time
So why don’t I show you how to impress everyone and take it on the chest
When I first started practising to do this I used a smaller sized soccer ball than I would normally use
Thinking if I can do it with this one I should be able to do it with a bigger ball.
I was correct! but it took me ages to perfect it.
5 Steps to Trap a Soccer Ball on Your Chest
- Find somewhere with enough space and a wall to be able to kick a ball against but don’t kick it against next doors garden wall.
- Stand about 10 to 15 feet away with the ball and pick a spot on the wall about chest high that you want to be aiming for, just take some time just practising hitting the wall with the ball to see if it comes back at the hight you want it to.
- Once you have the ball coming back to you exactly where you want it to you can start by getting the feel of it hitting your chest but try not to kick the ball too hard.
- OK, so now you know what it feels like and what to expect, start to take the ball on your chest and just lean back a bit and move with the ball as it makes contact with you, but whatever you do, try not to fall over and keep your balance.
NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS & HOW IT MOVES, NOW YOU NEED TO CONTROL IT
- Once the ball has made contact with your chest and you have moved with the ball you next have to control it and to do that you have to keep your elbows by your side and bend your arms upwards and slightly tense your chest muscles to make a bit of a dent for the ball to rest into.
So, Just to Recap…
Once the ball is coming towards you make sure that your hips and shoulders are facing towards the ball with your elbows & hands clear of the chest area. As the ball is making contact, lean back slightly bending at the waist allowing your upper body to control the ball and either drop it back down to your feet or direct it to either side of your body
Just Watch This Short Video Tutorial
If you want the ball to go to the right after the control, move your left shoulder to your right directing the ball that way, and vice versa for the ball to go to your left
Doing all this over and over again will help you get the feel for it and you will soon be a legend on the soccer field and controlling that ball every single time
Just remember that practice makes perfect
Let’s See How The Pro’s Control The Football Shall We
This could be you with more practice!
What to do Without a Wall?
I’m pretty sure you should be able to find a suitable wall
But if not or you would just like to practice in your back garden or anywhere for that matter
You can get some awesome Soccer Ball Rebounders that would work perfectly to help you practice this skill
Let me know if you have mastered it yet or if you need any more advice