Boys Rugby Scrum Cap: Vital Protection For Every Game
I can’t stress enough about how important I feel that ALL children that play rugby should be wearing a scrum cap
But as it’s not the “official law” I can only try and convince you how important it is to have a Boys Rugby Scrum Cap in the hope that more people start making their children wear them
In this post you will find 5 of the best scrum caps that I have personally found coming from an experienced rugby dad and an experienced rugby coach
They might not be your choices but they are the experiences which I want to share with you and hopefully reduce the risk of injury to your children
The Scrum Caps in This List Are…
Scrum Caps For Boys
Rugby is a Tough & Competitive Sport
We all know how competitive kids are in rugby and how wild they can get without a moment’s thought for their own safety
Let alone the other poor kid they are trying to get the rugby ball from
I have four sons that all play rugby and I also coach my local kids rugby team so I know exactly what they are like
The idea of them wearing the scrum caps is to reduce the risk of serious head and ear injuries and not to stop them altogether
So why as parents would you want anything to happen to them
Make them wear them in games and training until they are big and ugly enough to decide for themselves
This is what I would look like going out for a game of rugby
How to Measure For a Scrum Cap?
It’s not an easy process buying scrum caps online for children I know, but there is something you could do to get the right size back in the post without guessing
All you really need to measure is the circumference of the child’s head about an inch above the eyebrows
Try to either use a soft measuring tape like they use for sewing
Or if you don’t have one of those just use a piece of string and then measure that away from the child’s head
Size Chart For Scrum Caps
Here is a basic size chart and what measurements pretty much all scrum caps stick to so you can use when buying them online
So take a screenshot or download the image so you always have it handy on your phone instead of trying to find this page all the time
I’ve been looking at some great scrum caps that would fit your little angels and keep them a bit safer going into the tackles and rucks.
But I’m only giving my personal recommendations and opinions on the following head protection
Top 5 Boys Rugby Scrum Cap
5. Adidas Headguard
- The perforated ventilation holes will let all that body heat just rise right out from it keeping you cooler than normal.
- It has a lace up back to be able to get it to fit perfectly to your head.
- The foam doesn’t harden like some scrum caps do if there is any impact.
- There is a good amount of ear protection but at the same time you still get a big enough opening to be able to hear perfectly.
4. Gilbert Evolution
- You are going to get the most protection with the Evolution as it comes quite far down around your neck and chin.
- The fully flexible foam will make it both easy and comfortable to wear.
- The lace up back and tough velcro chin strap will keep that baby on your head no matter how hard you get hit.
- It also has ear-shaped ear holes which will form to your ears for a more comfortable fit.
3. Optimum Inferno
- You have a few colour choices to pick from if you don’t like the red.
- It has a multi-panel design to cover all the areas you need it to and still be flexible.
- The protective density foam will give you both protection and comfort.
- It has a velcro chin strap so you can adjust it to the size that you need easily and fast.
2. Canterbury Ventilator
- Made with a thermal material for those cold Sunday mornings.
- The padding covers all major areas of the head for maximum protection.
- The safety release chin strap makes it easy to remove if you ever get a head injury.
- It has a full length zip on the back to be able to slip it on and off much quicker.
1. Optimum Atomik
- You get maximum ear protection with the Atomik so it’s perfect for the players in the pack.
- The velcro chin strap is quite wide so it will feel a lot comfier than the scrum caps with the thin straps.
- It has a very durable and protective upper foam which also has breathable air holes for those hot and sweaty rugby games.
- The lace up back gives you the option to have it as tight or loose as you want it to be.
Before You Go
Do you have a favourite scrum cap?
I would love to hear what it is, or if there’s anything else you need to know about these scrum caps for rugby
Just ask below in the comment section and I will get straight back to you